This past weekend I was determined to finish the decking because the previous weekend was a wash because of my brother’s wedding. I started around 9:30AM laying down decking boards and soon after Anthony arrived to help. We worked fervently until 5 and completed the decking. This totally transformed the deck into a new beast. It made all of the previous pain worth it. We finally had a 260 sq. ft platform to walk on. After finishing the decking, we moved to adjusting the stairs.
There is a 2x8 pressure treated lumber attached to the bottom of the stringers to keep them square and rigid. This increased the overall of the stairs by 1.5” (a 2x8 is a dimensional measurement – the actual measurement is 1.5” x 7.5”). This made the top riser 4 inches - small by anyone’s account. The bottom riser was 7.75”. When you attached the tread on to the first step, it would bring it to 8.75”. Too much for a comfortable riser. So we notched each stringer for the 2x8 and attached it. This made a much more manageable top and bottom riser. We then attached the stairs using the same ¼” x 3” lag screws.
On Sunday, I attached the final 2 posts to the bottom of the stairs for the railings. After that, the weather was not looking good, so we stopped and instead went and bought my wife a new vacuum and I looked at the grills at Sears, but didn’t like any of them. Still like the $450 Blue Ember grill at Lowe’s. A good compromise of size and features.
Paul and I finished putting the treads and risers on the stairs last night and things are moving. I hope to cut the sides of the decking tonight that overhangs the deck as well as clean the deck. We are supposed to have 2 days of no rain, so I hope to seal the deck with a clear sealant tomorrow and a couple of more coats after that (maybe 6). Then this weekend railings. Then we call the inspector for final COC (Certificate of Completion) and then Lattice to keep animals out.
Now onto the pictures.