It was great to have Jeff, Paul and Anthony help at various times through the day to make some much needed progress on it. Of course, there is much more to do, but it is starting to take shape and I am very excited!!
We started the day by laying out the rest of pressure treated bottom plates so that we know where all of the walls will go. We used my carpenter's square to square up our corners. The walls are definitely "closing" in the workshop, but being that it is large, it doesn't really matter.
Here is a picture of the staircase with the railing removed. During the building of the landing, I had to move the supports for the stairs. I didn't want to disassemble the shelves, so I just cut my pieces to fit in between, but to land on top of each other to still have continuous load. I had to move the stair supports so that I could build a wall directly against the stairs.
This shows the closet for the dust collection system and air compressor. I will use soundproof "Roxul" insulation to help keep the noise down. There will be a 36" door to get in and out of the closet.
Note: Be careful when screwing drywall into the frame. You don't want to use too long of screws otherwise you will screw into the door or scratch it as it opens and closes.
There were 2 different types of pocket door frames at Lowe's. The first one was $60 and required assembly. The 2nd was $80 and was pre-made. I went with the pre-made one and am VERY happy I did this. It made the installation a breeze. Basically, you attach the top header to the pocket door frame and then hang the frame. Level and plumb the frame. Attach the brackets to the door and install. Voila!!
So, you can see that we made a lot of progress, but there is still a lot of walls to build. Electrical to run and plumbing to connect. But progress is progress!
Now that my wife has seen the progress, she has already started discussing putting a craft area on the other side of the workshop area at the bottom of the stairs. I think we should have enough left over studs to complete this. We may need to pick up some more pressure treated bottom plates.