Thursday, February 18, 2010

More progress.

This is really my favorite part of building...the finish work. It makes the most impact as well as you feel like you are actually accomplishing something and you are that much closer to a check mark in the finished column.

Here are the built-in dressers painted. The last knob went missing for awhile - got to love toddlers :). We have found it and installed it since taking this picture.

Bed finish trim is complete. There is a junction box in there (hence the blank faceplate). This feeds Keira's room.

Bathroom molding partially installed. This is so the plumber can install the toilet and sink. We are trying to finish this as quickly as possible, so that's why I am bringing in the big guns. It would take me 3-4x as long to install them. One less thing for me to do...and I don't enjoy plumbing, so I am OK with that.

Flooring in the landing has been completed. It is natural horizontal bamboo. I covered it up with red rosin paper to protect it which is why you don't see a fully completed picture.

That last piece of bamboo was very tricky to install. Since the walls are off about 1/2" from one to the other, I had to rip down the bamboo and put a new tongue in it.

It proved difficult to cut because I was tapering my cuts. When cutting it, I must have moved it away from the saw because it wasn't straight. So I had to recut it. That time it was better.

I also layed the first 4 rows of the Beech. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the look of the Beech flooring...especially against the blue walls.

The Beech is 3/4" thick while the Bamboo is 5/8" thick. I decided to shim the bamboo up to meet the 3/4". But the Beech still was about 1/8" higher than the bamboo. So I had to take 1/8" off the bottom of the wood so it would sit closer to the floor. I also had to remove the top part of the groove so that the groove would sit flush with the bamboo. About 1.5 hours later and we had a near perfect match. It is not 100% perfect, but pretty dang close.

My hope is to finish 99% of the room this weekend. Which means I am going to be working both Saturday and Sunday this weekend.

My plan for Saturday:
  1. Install the bathroom door. Need to cut 4" off the bottom.
  2. Install the bedroom door. Need to cut 2" off the bottom.
  3. Cut the rest of the window jambs. There were extension jambs on there for 2x6 construction but I only have 2x4 construction, so I need to flush cut them.
  4. Finish the hardwood flooring in the bedroom.
Sunday I hope to be able to do molding and touch up any paint/drywall that got dinged during the finish carpentry.

After that, the things left to do:
  1. Tie in the electrical circuits. I will be using a GFCI breaker for the bathroom and AFCI breakers (2) for the bedroom. There are 2 circuits running the bedroom outlets. One of the circuits runs all but 1 of the outlets. The outlet under the middle of the window is for an Air Conditioner so we put it on a separate circuit.
  2. Room Darkening blinds. Since the window is on an East facing wall, you get all sun in the morning. Which is not good for a sleeping baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment